Remote Desktop will allow you to connect to your office dekstop PC. The following are for Windows 10 users. Mac users can download Microsoft Remote Desktop from the App Store.
- On your office computer, get your ip address by going to: https://whatismyip.unc.edu/ (Remember to leave your computer on and lock the screen.)
- Write it down, take a picture, or text it to yourself. You’ll need it later.
- On your home computer, start your VPN. (Remote desktop will not work without VPN.)
- Search for Remote Desktop on your computer and start it. Enter the IP address that you got from the first step.
- On next screen, enter ad\(whatever your onyen is) for the username
- NOTE: ad\[onyen] is needed for computers that use an onyen login. If the remote computer doesn’t use an onyen login, try the standard login that you have setup.
- Then enter your password
- NOTE: If a username that isn’t yours is present, click on “More Choices”. Then “Use a different account”. Then enter ad\(whatever your onyen is).
- Click OK. (If you receive a message asking if you trust the location, click “yes”)
Depending on your internet connection, you should be connected to your desktop computer in a few seconds.